Window Maintenance Tips to Extend the Life of Your Windows
Window replacement is the best option for improving energy efficiency or damaged windows, but by following a few window maintenance tips, you can easily extend the life of your windows. For a small investment of time and money today, you will be able to protect the look of your home and windows against the ravages of the elements.American Exteriors has the top home maintenance tips you need to know for various window types.
Wood framing restoration and painting
If treated quickly, a bit of cleaning, treatment, and painting will fix up damaged wood. Follow these steps to treat minor instances of rotting:
- Dig out the wood that has been damaged by moisture.
- Clean the wood frame with a mixture of water and bleach.
- Fill the holes with wood epoxy and wood protector.
- Finish the whole project with a little sanding, priming, and painting.
Aluminum, fiberglass, or vinyl window maintenance
Unlike wood, these materials are not vulnerable to rotting, so they are often preferred by homeowners looking to install new windows in their home. You can still keep them looking their best:
- Clean surfaces with a mild detergent.
- Buff periodically to keep vinyl looking new long into the future.
Water infiltration prevention
Water that seeps in through cracks can cause home damage regardless of the type of frame.
- Inspect caulking to make sure windows are properly sealed.
- Check the humidity of your home to avoid window condensation problems.
Weather stripping maintenance
In order to shield against the wind and moisture, some homeowners place weather stripping between the movable parts of a window.Various materials can be used in different spaces.
- Clean weather stripping from time to time to help prevent damage.
- Replace stripping if it comes loose, breaks, or bends.
Performing these window maintenance tips will help preserve your home’s beauty and function while saving you money at the same time.It is essential that you protect your home’s infrastructure by making sure the windows are in good shape, and by executing these simple tasks, you will also enhance the energy efficiency of your home.If your current windows are beyond repair, investing in replacement vinyl windows today will insure many years of good performance as long as you implement these home maintenance tips.
What do you do to keep your windows working properly and looking their best? Leave a comment or let us know on the American Exteriors Facebook page.